What are the best practises that an eCommerce website needs in order to convert?
by Sam Dunning
There are many ways to ensure that conversions are maximised on your eCommerce website. Here are a few of our key pointers to ensure that your Online Store is a success!
1/ Have a Beautiful Design that Engages Your Audience
This may seem like a simple point but it is crucial that your website looks World Class to attract and encourage customers to browse and purchase from your website. Make sure to only use crisp and high quality photos for products to showcase items to your customers in the best possible way!
2/ Ensure that your eCommerce website is Responsive
“80% of Internet users own a smartphone” (Source: Global Web Index)
It is crucial that your website has a ‘Responsive Design’ – This means that your website is optimised for and adapts to Mobile, Desktop and Tablet. If your website is not mobile friendly, the chances are that potential customers will head to a competitors website that is – Meaning business is lost for you! Back in April 2015 Google released a statement announcing that they will now push down any website in its rankings that is not Mobile Friendly.
3/ Have a simple to use Search Tool
When you are browsing through an eCommerce website, there is nothing worse than not being able to find what you are looking for. To help customers find exactly what they want quickly, include a search tool in a prominent position on your site.
To improve the customers experience even more you can have an auto complete feature within the tool…this means the customer just needs to enter a few letters into the tool e.g. if you are an Outdoor Products Website and the user types in: ‘Well’ the suggestion: ‘Wellington Boots’ would be available for the user to select and easily search for.
4/ Offer a Fantastic User Experience
Make sure your website is designed and developed in such a way that the process for potential customers is as painless as possible – Meaning the customer can either browse through items in the navigation menu or by using a search tool, easily click through to product detail pages, add items to their basket and check-out in just a few simple clicks.
5/ Ensure your product pages are captivating
As well as showcasing the product, product pages can do so much more, here are a few useful features to include:
- Clear and High Quality Images – With a rotate / zoom feature to give the customer a clear overview of the item
- Concise and clear product description
- Prominent ‘Call To Action’ – This could either be ‘Buy Now’ or ‘Add to Cart’, this is the button will point the user to take the next step towards making a purchase
- Stock Meter – When an item is low on stock, the issue of scarcity will encourage the customer to act quickly!
- Reviews – Having reviews is a great way to give customers confidence in what you are selling, first hand, from previous customers – 63% of users prefer buying from a site that has customer reviews, this is according to an iPerceptions study
- Have the option to share on Social Platforms – This gives a quick and easy way for people to spread the word and market your product for free
- Shipping and Returns Policy – Having a clear and fair policy for Shipping and Returns will give customers confidence and trust in your service
- Loading Speed! – Finally make sure the webpage loads lightning fast. This means keeping slow loading features to a minimum and ensuring the page is crisp, clear, attractive, prompts the user to buy and this all loads nice and quickly
6/ Optimise Your Website For Google
This is known as Search Engine Optimisation or SEO for short. This is the practise of getting your website organically ranked on Google with the aim of hitting the top of page 1 for keywords that are most searched for your business type.
For a quick example, if you are selling ‘sports trainers’ you may target this keyword for your SEO Campaign. A few things you can do to optimise your website for Google include:
- Create a Blog with unique articles aimed at the products you are selling, containing keywords you would like to target, these articles should be useful and engage your audience
- Use fresh and original content for your website also including the keywords you would like to target, but ensure the content makes sense and pages are not too text-heavy!
- Create Social Media Pages (Facebook, Twitter, Google + etc.) and regularly update them with exciting and relevant content relating to your business
Of course there are many more points to take on board, but this article gives you an initial insight into what is needed to start converting customers via your eCommerce website!
At Web Choice UK we specialise in eCommerce website design that Dramatically Improves Conversions and Provides Outstanding Results for Businesses.
We are an Award Winning Web Development Agency helping our clients with: Brand Identity, Responsive Web Design & Web Development, eCommerce, App Development and Marketing Strategies. Get in touch to discuss a project today!
How to Choose the Best Web Design Agency for your New Business Venture? – 7 Top Tips for Web Design Success.
April 29, 2018